Vladimir Lenin said that “the best way to control the opposition is to lead it ourselves.” What Lenin meant to say was: the best way to defeat your enemies is to betray them. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. If Lenin had said this instead, we would be left wondering who he was going to betray next.
Betrayal is the essence of a conspiracy. The conspirators pose as leaders and friends, but they are working for the enemy. The conspirators earn your trust and then exploit it. People are wary of criminal conspiracies, except when they involve the authorities and institutions of their country.
Lenin’s maxim is relied upon by the authorities. Betraying the enemy is the function of every spy agency. A spy works for the enemy to betray their secrets. Corrupt governments view citizens as the enemy and use spies to betray dissidents and persecuted people. Groups that oppose the establishment are infiltrated by spies from top to bottom. The establishment establishes new opposition groups at the first hint of dissent. This avoids the difficulty of infiltration. Thus, the opposition becomes a controlled part of the establishment.
The purposes of controlled opposition include:
• Co-opting or preempting a resistance movement to neutralize the threat that a grassroots movement would pose to an established power structure.
• Preempt or neutralize true but negative information by having it be championed in a skewed or stigmatized fashion by a person or group. The truth can be peppered with misinformation or the truth of the message can be neutralized by association due to the extreme, radical, or unpalatable positions held by the controlled entity (person or group) who is disclosing the information or “championing” a position. The stigmatize truth or adulterated truth in turn steers people away from truthful information which would normally cause criticism or a serious backlash against the controlling party.
• Hijack the goals and actions of an organization or movement for purposes other than those that were the original intentions of the grassroots movement.
• Give the public the false illusion of choice by presenting a political party or organization that superficially speaks to the desires or frustrations of the people but whose actions do not further the stated goals of the organization.
• Disinformation or deception of the masses. Steering the masses in the wrong direction or misdirect their energies, beliefs and actions.
• Unmask and monitor the true opposition.
• Create a chaotic and divisive environment in which the opposition cannot band together and there is general mistrust thereby ensuring that an organized opposition with clear goals and priorities never manifests.
• Act in such a way that superficially appears to benefit the opposition, but in truth furthers the ends of the controlling party.
When spies control the opposition, all political solutions are set up to fail. The only way forward is to expose the conspirators and their plot against the public.